Until recently I didn’t realize just how much Jay and I are connected through music. When we first met, I was listening to primarily pop and country (weird combo, I know) music and he was the odd foreign kid listening to electronic music. I was very skeptical at first, but he introduced me to Tiesto, one of his favorite Dutch (just like him) DJs and a few others. Before long I was loving the catchy, high-energy beats.
Jay and I have attended the Electric Zoo festival on Randall’s Island in NY together two years. This 3-day music festival with speakers taller than us was one of the first “concerts” I’ve ever been to and it was the best experience!
Now we take turns trying to find each other new songs. I also sent Jay a shout-out on the Above & Beyond Group Therapy podcast when he moved to Australia. It was pretty funny because I didn’t tell him I was doing it and he just heard it one day!
That being said, I compiled a list of the top 10 songs that remind me of Jay. Most of them are not your typical “couple” songs, but they each have a unique reason for why they remind me of him. I hope you enjoy these songs as much as I do!
1. Escape Me – Tiesto featuring CC Sheffield. Certainly not your typical relationship song,but this is one of the first songs Jay played for me. It is also the first song I ever sang in front of him. I’m not very comfortable singing in front of people (I don’t even sing in the car with friends) and Jay wanted to hear me sing. I recorded myself singing this song and sent it to him in an email because I was too shy to sing it in person.
2. Cinema – Benny Benassi featuring Gary Go. When Jay and I went to Electric Zoo for the first time one of the artists we got to see was Benny Benassi. He was an incredible performer and this was my favorite song that he played and possibly from the whole weekend. The lyrics are awesome too: “You are a cinema, I could watch you forever…”
3. We’re All We Need featuring Zoe Johnston – Above & Beyond. Jay and I both love this song! I keep it open in a tab on my iPod so I can listen any time I have a bad day.
4. Windfall – The Fat Rat. This song is actually my ringtone. This is another song that makes me instantly happier and whenever I listen to it I think of Jay. We both think it sounds like something hobbits would listen to at a party (for all you LOTR fans)!
5. Africa – Toto. I love this song because Jay likes to sing it randomly in an off-key voice which makes me laugh. Every time I listen to the chorus I hear his voice singing and it makes me happy. This is also a classic song: “Gonna take a lot to drag me away from you, there’s nothing a hundred men or more could ever do…”
6. All I need – Alyssa Bernal. This is a really great song for people in a LDR. Here’s a snapshot at the lyrics: “It’s so easy missing you cause you’re going through my head a million times a day. But I’m okay when you say you’re doing the exact same thing…” I couldn’t find the original on soundcloud, but here is a great cover:
7. Calling (Lose My Mind) – Sebastian Ingrosso and Alesso. This song remind me of Electric Zoo even though I don’t recall actually hearing it there. I love songs that remind me of that concert because Jay and I had such an amazing time. I also love the lyrics to this one: “I will find you, I will reach you, Or I, I, I will lose my mind…”
8. Lose Yourself – Eminem. This is one of the songs that reminds me of Jay the most. The real lyrics mention “His palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy
There’s vomit on his sweater already, mom’s spaghetti” but we like to change them a bit. Before bed Jay often will say “eyes are heavy, mom’s spaghetti.” Now sometimes he’ll say “eyes are heavy” and I just say “mom’s spaghetti” kind of like a call and response. It’s just a silly thing that helps us stay connected through music.
9. The Funeral – Band of Horses. I don’t remember how we first heard this song, but we had a period of time where we listened to it every day. It also popped up in a few episodes of How I Met Your Mother which we watched together. This song is probably the opposite of a normal “couple” song but it’s really relaxing and catchy at the same time.
10. Roar – Katy Perry. Jay and I are both Katy Perry fans. I am rarely a big fan of pop stars so this is a pretty big deal. It’s another song that Jay likes to sing which is quite entertaining. I also like to say “rawr” to Jay randomly (I know, I’m weird haha) so that’s an added bonus with this song!
And the honorable mentions go to: A Drop in the Ocean – Ron Hope, Something I Need – One Republic, Shrink the World – Yellowcard, & I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles) – The Proclaimers
I know most of these aren’t traditional relationship songs, but they mean a lot to me and Jay. Whenever I hear these songs I feel like Jay is right there next to me, not thousands of miles away. These are some of my favorite songs and I hope you enjoy them too!
Inspired by this LDR Writing Prompt: Ten Songs